JOB DESCRIPTION / OVERVIEW
Brooklyn Youth Chorus is seeking a part-time Program Assistant(s) to serve as rehearsal managers, front desk attendants, and to provide general program administrative support. When scheduled in a rehearsal manager capacity, program assistants are responsible for overseeing drop-off and pick-up, taking attendance, monitoring chorister behavior before, during, and after rehearsal, helping with classroom logistics such as music distribution, etc. When scheduled as the front desk attendant, program assistants are responsible for greeting guests and parents, answering the phone, program emails, and other administrative work.
Program assistants are expected to work Brooklyn Youth Chorus’s annual spring all-school concerts which take place over multiple days. Spring Sings will take May 17-18, 2024.
- Wednesdays: 2:30-7:30PM @ BYC HQ (179 Pacific Street)
- Thursdays: 2:30-7:30PM @ BYC HQ (179 Pacific Street)
- Fridays: 2:30-7:30PM @ BYC HQ (179 Pacific Street)
- Saturdays: 9:00AM-4:00PM @ BYC HQ (179 Pacific Street)
SALARY/RATE OF PAY
$20 per hour
This position reports directly to the Director of Program Operations and will run from January 2024 to May/June 2024 with the possibility to be renewed after June 2024 for future seasons.
- Belief in the mission and core values of Brooklyn Youth Chorus
- Experience working with young people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with colleagues, choristers, and families
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of and ability to read music preferred
- Teaching experience (music education field) is preferred
- Facility and competency working with and/or learning myriad digital communications, database, and music-related technologies and platforms including any of the following: Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, Mailchimp, and FileMaker preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in music, music education, and/or arts administration preferred
- For those with an interest in choral music education and/or conducting, this position may include apprenticeship opportunities in Brooklyn Youth Chorus’s trademarked Cross-Choral Training pedagogy
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least two professional references here:
Only candidates under consideration will be contacted. No calls, please. EOE.
ABOUT BROOKLYN YOUTH CHORUS
Brooklyn Youth Chorus is an award-winning city-wide music education and vocal performance program for children ages 7-18 of all levels of experience. As a collective of young singers and vocal ensembles, Brooklyn Youth Chorus is reimagining choral music performance through artistic innovation, collaboration, and an incredibly versatile range and repertoire. The Chorus’s multi-level training program draws students from across the five boroughs and combines intensive voice training and musicianship study with exceptional performance experiences. Children of diverse backgrounds come to the Chorus to share their love singing, make new friends, and achieve and surpass their musical goals. Brooklyn Youth Chorus believes every voice matters and is committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive community based on respect for each individual and an appreciation of our differences. To ensure access to all students, regardless of background or financial circumstances, the Chorus provides broad financial support for both chorus and elective music program tuition. Founded in 1992 by Artistic Director Dianne Berkun Menaker, Brooklyn Youth Chorus serves hundreds of students in its core after-school and public school outreach programs. Classes take place at their Cobble Hill headquarters and neighborhood locations in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Red Hook, and Sunset Park, and Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn.