Brooklyn Youth Chorus is seeking a full-time Development Assistant to join its development department during a time of significant growth and excitement in the organization’s 32-year history. This individual will play a critical role in supporting all development functions and will have the opportunity to gain skills within the organization’s growing fundraising department.
The Development Assistant reports to the Director of Development and works in close support of the Executive Director and Artistic Director.
The Development Assistant will:
Individual Donor Management:
• Assist in processing donations and preparing acknowledgement letters
• Support all aspects of individual gift solicitations including efforts to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors
• Edit content for individual donor solicitations
• Provide support for the submission of grant applications for corporate, foundation and government supporters
• Maintain institutional calendar for reporting and applying for funding
• Track obligations and deliverables associated with corporate sponsorships
• Prepare administrative and stewardship correspondence and acknowledgments for institutional donors
• Schedule and administer all board and committee meetings (i.e. prepare and distribute notices, agendas, minutes, etc.)
• Serve as main point of contact for all trustees regarding key dates and materials
• Support a range of administrative and logistical capacities as needed for all development events including the Spring Gala, all self-produced concerts, and cultivation and stewardship events
• Continually update and maintain database records in Salesforce
• Assist in managing all mass print and digital campaigns for annual appeal, gala and other key events
• Proofread and edit institutional and departmental documents
• Schedule all development-related meetings
• Reconcile financial records and invoice vendors through the Finance Department
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-2 years of professional experience with at least 1 year of development experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent proofreading skills and strong attention to detail
• Ability to multitask and work well with tight deadlines
• Strong sense of personal accountability and follow-through
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Interest or background in music and/or performing arts preferred
• Proficiency in Salesforce and experience with Filemaker Pro preferred.
$48,000-$53,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits offered, including generous vacation package, medical, dental, and vision insurance.
ABOUT BROOKLYN YOUTH CHORUS
Brooklyn Youth Chorus is an award-winning city-wide music education and vocal performance program for children ages 5-18 of all levels of experience. As a collective of young singers and vocal ensembles, Brooklyn Youth Chorus is reimagining choral music performance through artistic innovation, collaboration, and an incredibly versatile range and repertoire. The Chorus’s multi-level training program draws students from across the five boroughs and combines intensive voice training and musicianship study with exceptional performance experiences. Children of diverse backgrounds come to the Chorus to share their love singing, make new friends, and achieve and surpass their musical goals. Brooklyn Youth Chorus believes every voice matters and is committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive community based on respect for each individual and an appreciation of our differences. To ensure access to all students, regardless of background or financial circumstances, the Chorus provides broad financial support for both chorus and elective music program tuition. Founded in 1992 by Artistic Director Dianne Berkun Menaker, Brooklyn Youth Chorus has served over 10,000 students over its thirty-year history with hundreds enrolling each year in its core after-school and public school outreach programs. Classes take place in Brooklyn at their Cobble Hill headquarters and neighborhood locations in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Carroll Gardens, and Brooklyn Heights.
EQUITY & INCLUSION
Brooklyn Youth Chorus is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas including artistic and education programs and recruitment of choristers, volunteers, staff, and its Board of Trustees.
We stand for absolute respect for each individual; an appreciation and understanding of the broad spectrum of all our differences be they cultural, racial, religious, socio-economic, or based on sexual identity, gender, physical or intellectual ability; and the ability to experience bonds of friendship through the joy of music. We celebrate open-mindedness and critical thinking, and seek to create opportunities for students to explore and embrace these important values together. We recognize that a diverse community is an asset that must be continually cared for, preserved, and enhanced, with constant attention, for the benefit of all its members.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and at least two professional references to email@example.com. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No calls, please. EOE.