El Sistema USA is seeking nominations to the Board of Directors from active member organizations. Four directors will be elected or reelected for three-year terms starting in January 2022 and ending in January 2025. All nominations must be submitted by 5:00pm PST on Monday, November 1, 2021. Voting for nominees will be held the weeks of November 8 – November 21, 2021.
As an organization, we have adopted a new strategic plan that highlights seven strategic priorities listed below:
- Organizational Health and Sustainability
- Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (EDIB)
- Raising Our National Profile and Facilitating National Conversations
- Stronger Support for Professional Development for Teaching Artists
- Amplifying Youth Voice
- Regional Network Building and Support
- Improving Membership Benefits and Membership Base
As an organization, we have strong program leadership represented on our board. Fourteen members of our board lead and/or have founded El Sistema-inspired programs. As we begin the board nomination process for this year, we ask that you help us build on our programming strengths by helping us recruit members of the board who can support the first three goals listed above (organizational health and sustainability, EDIB, and raising our national profile). In considering who to nominate, we would encourage nominating employees from your organizations business or HR departments, parents and family members, community leaders involved in your programs, board members (only if you do not see this as a conflict to your organization, of course!), and/or others invested in your network committed to music, youth development, and/or social justice.
El Sistema USA® connects itself to, and invests in developing, the change-makers in the lives of young people.The mission of El Sistema USA is to support and grow a nationwide movement of programs inspired by El Sistema to effect social change through music for children with the fewest resources and the greatest need.
El Sistema USA is a national voice for the intersection of musical excellence and equity in music education, with a focus on student agency and voice. We are a comprehensive resource for music teaching artists, organizations, researchers, educators, policy makers and funders to understand this intersection.
Board Members We Seek
As described above, as an organization, we seek are seeking board members that will help us support our seven strategic priorities, and who display a strong commitment to the mission and vision for El Sistema USA. In order to do so, we ask that nominators help our organization by prioritizing nominees who have the following areas of expertise:
- Business Operations (e.g. Financial Operations, Human Resources, Law, and/or Strategic Planning)
- Philanthropy, Fundraising, Corporate Sponsorship, and/or Foundations
- Managing and Executing Programs or Projects Related to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Connection to Peer Organizations With a National Profile
- All Nominees Should Connect With, and Uphold the Mission and Vision of Our Organization (Listed Above)
- All Nominees Should Be Able To Meet the Commitments Listed Below.
While we are appreciative of program leadership, we ask that you consider nominating members who might bring expertise that would supplement the strong program leadership represented on the board!
- Time: 3–4 Hours per Month
- Full Board Meetings Virtually, Which Occur Once per Month
- At Least 1 Committee Meeting, Which Occurs Once per Month
- Supporting Our Financial Health by Committing to a Give-or-Get of $1,000
Current Board Members Eligible for Reelection
The following board members have served one three year term, and are therefore eligible for reelection. They require a nomination, in order to be eligible.
Armand Hall, ROCmusic Collaborative, Rochester, NY
Monique Van Willingh, New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, MA
Logistics & What You’ll Need To Fill Out This Form
Member organizations should first assign one person from your organization to be a nominator designee (or a voting representative). Only ONE member of your organization should submit on behalf of your organization. You may only submit the following Nomination Form if your membership is in good standing.
Voting representatives may nominate one candidate. When voting takes place from November 8 – November 21, voting representatives may select up to 3 candidates.
Information You Will Need
The form will require nominee’s basic contact information (name, email, phone,) a brief biography, and a short paragraph describing the reason for nomination. Further endorsements from employees of your organization and/or leaders in the field are encouraged, but not required.
Please submit completed forms no later than 5:00p PST on Monday, November 1, 2021.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.