Website WHIN Music Community Charter School
WHIN Music Community Charter School is the first school of its kind! Built on the principles of El Sistema, WHIN is a place where children learn, grow, and make music together. At WHIN, we are building a nucleo, a community where staff, families, and students work together to make a powerful shift in public education that puts learners’ needs first.
To provide our diverse student population with rigorous academic instruction, intensive music education and a positive learning environment so that every student can thrive academically and personally.
- that all children deserve a high-quality education, with access to academic rigor, music creation, and a holistic approach to developing character.
- that a collaboration with families ensures the greatest success for our learners.
- that restorative justice, inquiry-based hands on learning, and authentic learning experiences provide the most effective environments for growth, success, and joy.
We are looking for teachers who are…
- looking to grow and prosper in a collaborative work environment
- excited about teaching in a school and neighborhood where diversity is central.
- highly qualified and certified in Special Education, English as a New Language, Music Education, and/or Early Childhood Education.
We support teachers by…
- coaching and professional growth to deepen instructional practices that is facilitated by our Director of Music, Principal, and Director of Special Programs
- creating Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to address challenges and drive inquiry where teachers act as thought partners for one another
In action, our mission looks like caring deeply about all aspects of our young learners’ potential. We make academics a priority while also ensuring students’ character and personal growth. With music at our core, students experience working together to create something bigger than their individual skills every single day, and this approach extends to our classrooms where project-based, hands on learning cultivates curious, creative, and hardworking learners.
WHIN is currently seeking a high performing Violin Teacher who is ready to help grow a unique school community where compassion, kindness, and curiosity drive each and every day.
Specifically, a Strings Instructor at WHIN is responsible for:
- Fostering a love of making music in an ensemble setting
- Modeling high-quality musicianship and citizenship within the WHIN community
- Leading daily small group sectionals and weekly Orchestra rehearsals
- Leading daily rehearsals
- Creating, submitting, and implementing objective-driven lesson plans
- Employing a variety of instructional strategies to meet the diverse needs of all learners
- Holding all students to high musical, academic, and behavioral standards
- Developing consistent and safe routines and procedures to ensure all students have access to safe, orderly, and fun rehearsals
- Administering regular music assessments and using data to drive instruction
- Maintaining inventory of instruments; performing small instrument repairs as necessary
- Keeping an organized and tidy classroom conducive to music-making
- Assisting with all aspects of bi-monthly concerts and weekly “informances”
- Fully participating in weekly music departmental meetings, full-faculty professional development, and committee work
- Collaborating with other music teachers and classroom teachers to foster a music-infused curriculum across the school
- Attending all WHIN concerts, community performances, and departmental programming
- Participating in school-wide tasks and responsibilities as needed
- Developing and maintaining strong and professional relationships with WHIN families
Qualifications for the Violin Teaching Artist positions are:
- Minimum education level: BA/BM in music education or music performance (MA/MM preferred)
- Experience teaching elementary music in an urban school setting
- Advanced proficiency on violin, understanding of childhood music pedagogy, and a pleasant singing voice
- The ability to accompany children on piano, guitar, and/or percussion
- Demonstrated success raising achievement levels of all students
- An unwavering belief that all students can achieve at a high level
- The ability to commit regular hours to WHIN for a full academic year
- A sense of humor
Advanced proficiency or experience in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience in El Sistema-based music instruction
- Active gigging musician
- Dalcroze, Suzuki, Orff Schulwerk, Kodály, Gordon’s Music Learning Theory, and/or Praxialism
- Responsive Classroom, Love and Logic Student Management, and/or Restorative Justice
Compensation/Benefits: WHIN Music Community Charter School offers a competitive salary and benefits, fun and professional working environment, as well as ongoing PD opportunities. Starting salary- $65,000-$100,000 based on experience.
EEO Policy: WHIN Music Community Charter School is an equal rights and opportunity agency and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, ancestry, marital status, or any other legally protected classification in its activities, educational programs, or employment practices as required by Title VI, IX, and Section 504.
To Apply: Submit an application online or email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com