Website The People's Music School
Job Title: Teaching Artist, Band
Location: Back of the Yards, Chicago
Start date: September 2023
Reports to: Program Manager
The People’s Music School is Chicago’s oldest and largest completely free nonprofit music school, providing transformational music instruction to over 725 K-12 students in Chicago. The school has a straightforward mission: to provide access to the transformational benefits of high-quality music instruction to youth who otherwise would not be able to afford it. We focus our work in communities that have been systematically excluded and marginalized from receiving a high quality music education.
Through intensive instruction and performance, The People’s Music School’s students grow not only musically, but also socially, emotionally, and academically, developing a foundation of responsibility, self-esteem, resilience, and purpose. From putting an instrument in an aspiring young musician’s hand for the first time, to teaching students how to read and write music and perform in an ensemble, The People’s Music School provides opportunity and instruction at sites located in four Chicago communities: Uptown, Albany Park, Back of the Yards, and the Greater South Side. Students receive an average of four hours of instruction per week, at absolutely no cost, delivered by world-class teaching artists.
The People’s Music School is seeking an experienced Band Teacher for its Back of the Yards site. The instructor will be responsible for small group lessons, private lessons, theory, and/or leading ensembles.
- Deliver high-quality instruction to students in Grades K-12.
- Provide assessment of students’ musical and behavioral progress
- Act as a mentor to each student and create positive rapport with students
- Collaborate with parents, administrative staff, and other faculty
- Timely correspondence with Program Manager, school staff, and parents
- Active participation in faculty meetings, adjudication of juries, and student performances
- Maintain active communication with other faculty
- Communicate and provide support for rehearsal and student learning expectations
- Minimum level of education required is a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in music education or performance
- Ability to work the following schedule:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:30-6:30 PM
- Self-motivated and unflappable; ability to work effectively in a busy school environment
- Prior experience teaching specified instrument to children of different ages and ability levels a plus
- Experience working with children from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of appropriate repertoire for students
- A high level of personal musicianship and professionalism
- Belief in our transformative mission is a must
- Demonstrate a commitment to TPMS core values
Base rates range from $43-$60 per hour based on class type
For more information about The People’s Music School, please visit: www.peoplesmusicschool.org.
The People’s Music School does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other protected status in admission or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.
To apply for this job please visit thepeoplesmusicschool.applytojob.com.