Position Description: Marketing and Communications Manager
Location: 5 – 96 Vine Avenue, Toronto, ON
Term: Full time beginning January 30, 2023
Salary: $60K + benefits after first 3 months of employment
Vacation: 3 weeks paid vacation in addition to 2 week office closure in Dec/January as set by senior management.
Sistema Toronto provides musical and intellectual opportunities to children in vulnerable communities, with the goal of transformative social change. We build stronger communities by enabling at-risk children to overcome poverty, grow, and thrive as engaged citizens and future leaders.
Sistema Toronto is first and foremost a social development program, using ensemble-based music education to transform the lives of at-risk children. Sistema Toronto students work together for 10 hours of weekly instruction. They learn strings (violin, viola, cello, or double bass), percussion, choir and music & movement while developing important life skills like problem solving, empathy, and self-advocacy.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Marketing and Communications Manager has primary responsibility in leadership, marketing and communications, PR, public-facing donor stewardship and donor communications, administration, and fundraising events.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Development, Academic Manager, Centre Directors, and Teaching Artists.
Sistema Toronto works in a highly collaborative community-building environment; excellent interpersonal and leadership skills are required for this position. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in written corporate communication, PR, and social media. A passion for Sistema Toronto’s mission is essential. A music education or community development background would be a strong asset but is not a requirement.
- Demonstrates strong leadership abilities and communicates with other Sistema Toronto employees, donors, Board Members, volunteers, parents, and students with empathy, understanding, and diplomacy.
- Works independently with minimal supervision.
- Participates with The Board and the Chief Executive Officer in developing a marketing and communications strategy that supports the vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Supports fundraising activities including individual, government, foundation, and other institutional sectors.
- Ensures that data, most particularly personnel, participant and donor data, is secured and well protected and that Sistema Toronto systems are not vulnerable.
- Provides support to the Board by working with the Chief Executive Officer, Secretary, and Treasurer in preparing meeting agendas and supporting materials.
- Supports the work of the program, curriculum development, and Parent Committees in each of the schools.
Marketing and Communication
- Creates marketing materials and collateral in-house or coordinates design and/or production as needed.
- Works with a web development team on website redesign, content writing, maintenance and updates, etc.
- Develops and implements social media strategy; including but not limited to writing and posting content.
- Writes press releases and PR materials related to Sistema Toronto concerts and events, fundraising initiatives, earned media campaigns, etc.
- Responsible for copywriting of email marketing and direct mail campaigns, including quarterly newsletter.
- Coordinates photo shoots, videography, and special projects.
- Establishes and/or works to refine a Sistema Toronto Branding and Style Guide.
Development and Fundraising
- Cultivates, solicits, and manages relationships with established and new corporate and community donors in collaboration with the Director of Development.
- Develops and maintains excellent donor stewardship in collaboration with the Director of Development and Chief Executive Officer.
- Manages the annual Sistema Spirit Gala fundraising event.
- Coordinates third-party events and grassroots fundraising campaigns.
- Develops materials to support all public-facing fundraising initiatives.
- Supports curriculum development projects with in house graphics development and/or outside production as needed.
- Works with the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer on developing and managing the Marketing and Communications Budget.
- Works with Chief Executive Officer and other Sistema Toronto staff were required on hiring, onboarding, teacher professional development, and teacher evaluation.
- Attends and participates in board of directors meetings.
- Prepares minutes for all board of directors meetings.
- Supports ongoing administration.
- Regularly meets with team-members at the Sistema Toronto office or mutually-accessible location.
- Attends classes, workshops and events as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Experience with marketing and communication in a non-profit environment.
- Education focused on content writing, social media, communications, fundraising, digital marketing, and public relations.
- Excellent written communication skills including copy editing and proofreading.
- Expert understanding of social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn) as well as process and principles of digital marketing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while also meeting deadlines.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Experience in development, fundraising, and or donor stewardship.
- Experience and experience Adobe Suite of design products and/or other design program.
- Video editing skills are an asset.
Office/work from home hybrid work environment. Regular attendance at Sistema Toronto Centres. Evening and weekend responsibilities will be required on occasion.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and a sample of your marketing/communications work to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 9, 2023. Links to your work on corporate social media are strongly encouraged.
Submissions that do not include a cover letter and sample of work will not be considered.
Because this position will include proximity to children, successful candidates will be asked to provide a current Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Sistema Toronto is committed to building a culturally diverse teaching team and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.