Website Project Music
Cultivating Tomorrow's Changemakers through Music
Position: Lead Strings Teaching Artist
Working Hours: Monday to Friday, 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm; occasional weekend duties as needed
Location: King School – 1450 Newfield Avenue, Stamford, CT 06509
Project Music is seeking a passionate and dedicated Lead Strings Teaching Artist to join our El Sistema-inspired program in Stamford, CT. The ideal candidate will be a skilled string instrumentalist with a strong commitment to social inclusion and a deep understanding of the transformative impact of music education, particularly within the El Sistema framework. The Lead String Teaching Artist will play a crucial role in creating a nurturing and inspiring environment for our students, helping them develop not only their musical abilities but also their self-confidence, teamwork skills, and leadership qualities.
- Serve as the Lead String Faculty: assist in the selection of repertoire and materials appropriate for students’ development and performance opportunities in conjunction with other string faculty and Program Director
- Collaborate closely with the Program Director to plan, develop, and execute both short-term and long-term activities that align with the program’s goals and objectives.
- Conduct individual string lessons for students, adhering to a schedule from Monday to Thursday between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
- Instruct and lead beginner and intermediate string ensemble rehearsals, fostering musical development, teamwork, and performance skills, from Monday to Thursday between 4:15 pm and 5:50 pm.
- Prepare students for performances, recitals, and other events, ensuring their readiness and confidence.
- Integrate principles of social development, teamwork, and self-discipline into teaching methods, ensuring holistic growth among students with the expectation of creating and maintaining a positive, supportive, and engaging learning environment for all students
- Participate as a musician and teaching artist in occasional weekend performances and fundraisers as required, showcasing the skills of the students and supporting the program’s initiatives.
- Anticipated 10-12 events throughout the academic year
- Assess students’ progress and provide constructive feedback to students, parents, and leadership to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to enhance teaching skills and stay updated on best practices in music education including opportunities provided by Project Music.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and program administrators regarding schedules, progress, and any concerns that may arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music, Music Education, or related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- Extensive proficiency in playing and teaching string instruments (violin, viola, cello, or double bass).
- Proven track record of successful teaching experience, particularly in working with students of various skill levels, age groups, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Willingness help plan, organize, and execute musical activities and events efficiently in conjunction with the Program Director & Executive Director
- Passion for music education and a commitment to fostering a love for music in students.
Highly Preferred but not required:
- Prior experience with El Sistema philosophy and pedagogical approach
- Experience working in a group setting of students of varying skill levels
- Spanish language proficiency
Salary & Compensation:
$25,000-$40,000 depending on experience
*This position has the potential for comprehensive health insurance.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume, a cover letter detailing their relevant experience and teaching philosophy, and any relevant performance or teaching samples to email@example.com. Please include “Lead Strings Teaching Artist Application” in the subject line. Review of applications and interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is September 18, 2023.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.