Website Buffalo String Works
Neighborhood united by empowered young musicians
Buffalo String Works is seeking a collaborative, trauma-informed leader to scale BSW as we serve a growing number of families across multiple sites.
Title: Operations Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Review process: The Operations Director will participate in an in-depth annual review with the Executive Director.
Buffalo String Works’ Mission
Buffalo String Works (BSW) ignites personal and community leadership through accessible, youth-centered music education. We are an after-school program providing rigorous music instruction and a creative home for youth in Buffalo, NY, many of whom are displaced from all over the globe.
BSW aims to cultivate a positive and safe culture that supports students’ development into curious, confident, and committed individuals who make a difference in their city: exemplary musicians who are also exemplary citizens. Our program is offered tuition-free and currently serves 100 students. We operate during the academic school year and provide summer programming.
Our vision: Neighborhoods united by empowered young musicians.
The Operations Director (Ops Dir) and Education Director form the core program leadership team for Buffalo String Works. The Ops Dir manages the Operations Team: Program Manager, Site Managers and Assistant Site Managers, who work in multiple locations throughout Buffalo, NY. The Ops Dir aligns program logistics across these program sites and is responsible for developing and maintaining these site partnerships in alignment with BSW’s core values of rigor, inclusion, citizenship, and empowerment.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Director is part of the BSW leadership team that collaboratively implements the vision of our ambitious and intentional 2022-24 Strategic Plan. This is a full-time, year-round position.
Lead Program initiatives with Education Director including:
- Continuously maintain and develop collaborative organizational culture throughout BSW
- Manage program evaluation, assessment, and documentation
- Develop partnerships in alignment with organizational core values
Align program logistics across multiple program sites including:
- Health and safety protocols
- Enrollment and registration processes
- Academic year and summer program scheduling
- Oversee individual site logistics
- Concert planning and execution
Human Resources for Operations Team
- Manage recruitment, hiring, and onboarding process
- Supervise, support, and evaluate Operations Team
- Plan ongoing professional development using in-house and external facilitators
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Bachelor’s degree required with 2-3 years related work experience preferred
- Strong background in music education and arts administration
- Experience managing a diverse team
- Awareness of and enthusiasm for the El Sistema music education model
- Strong commitment to the ideals and mission of Buffalo String Works
- Trauma-informed and culturally-responsive experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well on a collaborative team and in a high-pressure, multi-tasking environment
- Strong desktop computer skills (business professional level)
- Must pass background check
- Availability to work weekends and evenings for concerts and special events as needed
- Interact regularly with BSW staff, students, and parents
- Collaborative work environment where decision-making comes from Buffalo String Works leadership, Teaching Faculty, and students.
- In office and at multiple site locations throughout Buffalo, NY
Buffalo String Works is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Yuki Numata Resnick: email@example.com