Website Baltimore Symphony Orchestra OrchKids
Title: OrchKids Program Assistant
Reports to: Program Manager
Classification: Part-Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly; September-May, July (some dates in June/August)
There are jobs, and then there are jobs where you get to make a difference. Members of our dedicated OrchKids team know distinctively how excellent music education can create pathways to success and transform lives. As we continue to grow, nurture, and expand our programming, we strive to build our team with dedicated and experienced individuals who wish to share the power of music with our exceptional students.
OrchKids uses music as a vehicle for students to develop 21st century skills (creativity, collaboration, leadership, etc.) that are transferable to all areas of their lives. Marin Alsop, Music Director Laureate of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and OrchKids Founding Director, shaped OrchKids into the cornerstone of the BSO’s community engagement efforts across the city with her artistic leadership and direction. OrchKids was founded in 2008 with 30 students at one elementary school with seed funding from Marin Alsop and Founding Donors Rheda Becker and Robert E. Meyerhoff.
OrchKids now works with seven schools in Baltimore City, serving over 1,800 children from Pre-K through 12th grade during school, after school, and in weeklong workshops.
In collaboration with several community partners OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic assistance, meals, mental health resources, connection to social services, as well as performance and mentorship opportunities at no cost to students and families. OrchKids is an acknowledged leader in the El Sistema and social-change through music movement throughout the world.
The Program Assistant plays an integral role in assisting with all aspects of the operational, logistical and administrative implementation for the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s OrchKids program. The Program Assistant’s primary responsibilities will be site based and the position requires strong organizational skills and strong child management experience. The Program Assistant will serve as one of the point persons for maintaining record-keeping for the site and facilitating day-to-day program components. The Program Assistant will also work closely with the Program Coordinator and the Lead Program Coordinator, under the direction of the Program Manager, to sustain the healthy function of the site and all site-based procedures. This position will have occasional evening and weekend responsibilities and also works collaboratively with all OrchKids staff across sites.
RUN DAILY PROGRAMMING
- Assist in the pickup and dismissal processes during afterschool programming
- Manage children during after-school programming, especially in transitions between classes (i.e., snack, bathrooms, lining up, hallways)
- Assist teachers during class time with behavior management and student office referrals
- Assist in equipment setup and cleanup for daily programming
- Implement the food service program (snack and supper) in coordination with team members
- Facilitate the tracking and recording of OrchKids student attendance
- Coordinate the sign-in and sign-out process of OrchKids instruments
- Work closely with Program Manager and site based team to implement consistent behavior management system
- Maintain detailed documentation of student behavior on weekly basis via online database and direction communication with Program Manager
- Ability to chaperone and manage large groups of students of all ages and ensure smooth transitions in field trips, special events, and performances
- Implement positive behavior management techniques and strategies
- Work closely with the site based team in developing, refining, and implementing all logistics of during and after-school programming
- Provide artistic and logistical input for planning of all site based concerts, field trips, special events, and performances
- Assist with collecting enrollment and managing OrchKids student records on a daily basis
- Assist in communicating with the OrchKids Artistic and Program Operations Manager to resolve supply needs for daily programming and special events
- Assist with parental and school staff communication as needed
- Oversee the management of OrchKids clothing inventory, including re-orders and restocking
- Assist in tracking and maintaining instrument and music inventory, equipment, and other supplies at site
- Track and address facility needs for program
- Assist in equipment transport, loading/unloading, and setup for concerts, guest artist performances, and special events at OrchKids school sites and concert venues
- Design and create bulletin board, classroom environment decorations, and visual teaching tools as requested by teachers and site administrative team
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong child management skills
- Handle emergencies calmly and using good judgment
- Strong commitment to the philosophy of social change through music
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills in a fast-paced, multi-tasking work environment
- Ability to both take initiative, work independently with minimal supervision, as well as work collaboratively with colleagues in a team-oriented environment
- At least 2 years of experience working in a mentorship and/or education capacity, with elementary/middle school age children preferred
- Experience managing and organizing large crowds of people (specifically school-age students)
- Experience in event planning and management
- Proficient in all Microsoft programs, and ability to learn other software programs as needed
- Secondary School Education, GED or equivalent work experience; Bachelors in Music, Music Education, Education, Arts Administration, Social Sciences preferred, but not required;
- Formal music training or enthusiasm for music education
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Spanish-English bilingual is a plus
- Ownership of a vehicle is highly preferred
- Successful completion of a background check
OrchKids Principles of Inclusion:
BSO OrchKids believes in the principles of diversity and inclusion for students and all parties involved in the program regardless of race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or socio-economic status. We are proud to serve students of all backgrounds and abilities and our expectation is that all students will be treated equally, nurtured to ensure their success and we will meet them where they are. As a team, we expect and are prepared to make reasonable accommodations to address and support differences in learning styles, behaviors, and cultural differences. Our expectation is also that we treat all parties involved in BSO OrchKids (teaching artists, staff, school staff, families, community members, etc.) with respect and in accordance with our principles of inclusion.
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, differing physical abilities, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Relocation assistance is not provided.